Friday 23 April 2010

A New Project in the Pipeline

Some time ago I decided I wanted to make a Wedding Ring Quilt - but not traditional colours - I wanted to use taupes.   But....I have also recently decided that I shouldn't buy any more fabric if I can use something I already have in my considerable stash.

Last year I got these yummy fat quarters from the Sturbridge Village Harvest by Judie Rothermel Range.  I really love the colours.   I just happened to have enough fat quarters (24) to make a bed sized wedding ring quilt.  All I need now is 4.5metres of background fabric - and I have this lovely dark creamy fabric with little flowers - the alternative is to use cream quilters muslin.   I'll have to think about it for awhile before cutting the background fabric.
This is my little project box with all the pieces cut out and ready to go.   I will be machine piecing this project.  A good retreat project I think.










And this is the pattern I will be using.  I like the way these rings are really round, not squashed like some patterns are.

Wish me luck ...  I think I will make this quilt for my darling husband ... I have never made him a quilt before, and I'm sure he will like the colours.

Happy Quilting for now ... Jane x

5 comments:

Bec Clarke said...

Good luck on the Wedding ring quilt.
I made one for my brother http://becclarke.blogspot.com/2008/07/wedding-rings-other-things.html
have a look.
You will be so pleased when it is finished though, I had never done curves before but I used a Matilda's template set and it was so wonderful. It too ages too as I made it really big to fit over a queen bed.
What a lovely gift for your husband.

Valentina said...

Oh my... Breathtaking! I will be eagerly following your progress... Jane, I would chose the white you have in the picture as background, It is perfect!
xox
Valentina

Jane Monk said...

Oh yes Bec, your wedding ring quilt is very lovely - I like the colours you used too!
And thank you Valentina for your comments too - I have some of the colours sitting on the quilters muslin - it looks pretty good as well - I will think about it for awhile before I choose.
Hugs
Jane x

Aunty said...

i love the fabrics, they wll look great as a quilt. I lve wedding ring quilts, will make one someday.

My Life and Quilting said...

Hi Jane ... I love the fabric's that you are useing... It will make a beautiful quilt.. :)